M. Sue Wilson
Complex Marital Estates
“We understand your situation, and we care deeply.”
To M. Sue Wilson, representing clients through her family law practice is not simply a vocation, it’s how she makes a difference. From igniting change in the Minnesota legal system to building one of the state’s largest and most respected appellate practices, Sue has been a beacon in Minnesota law for more than 40 years.
Since beginning her practice in 1975, Sue’s unyielding commitment to excellence, her persistence, and her compassion have garnered results for thousands of clients, as well as the respect of legal professionals nationwide. In 1991, Sue received the Lambda Legal Defense Fund Liberty Award for her groundbreaking work in In re Guardianship of Kowalski, 478 N.W. 2d 790. In this landmark case and in many others, Sue courageously persisted; once the legal system caught up, she ultimately prevailed.
Strong yet graceful in her approach, Sue lives out her calling to “obtain justice, one person at a time” in every case that comes through the firm. In doing so, Sue regularly advocates for mediation and achieves this outcome in 99% of her cases. For those that cannot be resolved in this manner, Sue brilliantly fights for the right—and best—result for her client.
Sue graduated with honors from Stanford University Law School. She enjoys the highest rating from Martindale-Hubbell, and has achieved status as a Super Lawyer® each year since 1998.
- Stanford University Law School – Palo Alto, California, 1974, J.D.
Honors: Successful Completion of Law and Psychiatry Program (a joint program between Stanford Law School and Stanford Medical School)
- University of Kansas – Lawrence, Kansas, 1971, B.A.
Honors: Summa Cum Laude, Phi Beta Kappa
Professional Memberships, Awards, and Appointments
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Minnesota Chapter of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (President, 1987-88)
- International Seminar on Family Law, Barbados, West Indies (Chairperson, 1989)
- Lawyers Professional Responsibility Board, Supervising Attorney (1991-present)
- Winner, 1992 Dan J. Bradley Human Rights Award
- Winner, 1991 Lambda Legal Defense Fund Liberty Award
- Regularly selected as a Leading Minnesota Family Law Attorney
- Consistently selected as a Minnesota Super Lawyer®
- Selected as a Minnesota Super Lawyer in Family Law in 2016, 2017
- Selected as one of the Top 100 Women Super Lawyers® (2005, 2006)
- Selected for the highest possible rating for attorneys by Martindale-Hubbell
- Appointed as a financial early neutral evaluator by the Hennepin County 4th Judicial District Family Court Division (2007)
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- Family Law Lecturer, Family Law Institute and other seminars
- Various other speaking engagements on topics such as valuation of closely held businesses, spousal maintenance, trial preparation, and re-opening of decrees
- Volunteer team member for many “Four-Fold Way” seminars with Angeles Arrien, Ph.D.
The team at M. Sue Wilson’s law firm is hands down the best you will find.N
US District Court, District of Minnesota; United States Supreme Court, 1986
AUGUST 2016: ATTORNEY OF THE MONTH
NOT SURE WHERE TO START?
WE’RE HERE TO HELP.
Let us know how we can help. Call today: 612-340-1405.
I am a lawyer myself, and I hired the firm because of its well-earned reputation in handling tough cases. I was surprised, however, by Sue’s empathy and support during the divorce G.A.